Wednesday, October 1, 2008

camp at PeeDee

I just took part in camp that was held at SMK Tanah Merah Site C. Majority of the students are Indians and Chinese. So the counseling club in the school planned a religious camp for the Indian students to help them learn bout the Hindu culture.
I was asked by my friend to help with the camp. There were 70 students from form 1 till form 4 were participating in the camp.
I was given the task of handling traditional game for the students. It was strange for me as I had to do some research and studies about the Indian traditional games. It took me some time to finalise the games. I arranged around 8 stations with different games for the students. Following are some of the games; sorry the names are in Tamil. I tried to translate them to Malay.

Kilippari (galah panjang)
Pallangguli (congkak)
Aithanggal (batu seremban)
Cricket (its not an Indian game but included it just for the fun of it + I LIKE IT)
Kabadi (the guys were having fun with it)
Satti udaithal (the students will be blindfolded and will have to break the pots containing water)

I used to play some of the games when I was in primary school. I also picked up cricket when i was in NZ/ However, youngsters nowadays are forgetting about these cultural games. I wonder why is that? I also invited other students to take part in the games. It was a fun way to learn about Indian culture.

I also was put in charge of treasure hunt activity. I was having great time planning the activities for the students that require them to sing, to climb goal posts and some other activities. In the end, the students were feeling happy and excited because it’s not something they do everyday. As for me, the days I spent at the camp were great and it was fun thing to do after the hectic practicum period.

That’s the small part of what happened at the camp. But I am sure those attending the camp learned about Indian culture in a fun way.

No comments: