Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Teachers as Entertainers

It is true.....teachers now days act more than just teachers. It was hard to believe it but after going through it myself I had to believe it. Teachers now days have to be entertainers in the classroom. This is especially true for the secondary school students. In those days, when I was still in secondary school, it was students’ responsibility to stay focussed in the classroom. However the trend seems to have changed these days. I experienced this during my teaching practicum. There are times when I become an entertainer in the classroom rather than an educator in the classroom. The end result was pretty obvious. The students were involved but the learning part did not happen. When I was just an educator, my students were passive and participated less in the classroom. I was not able check whether my learning objectives were achieved. Both situations left me frustrated and disappointed with my students. However, I did realize the need to be a balanced person. All work and no play make jack a dull boy. I agree with that. Perhaps things will change in the future. But for now, I better learn to be a balanced entertainer and educator.

2 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

You're observations are true...
These students need a different kind of stimulation to get it through to their thick skulls that they need to master the English langauge.

I'm sure having you there has more than allowed this to happen!
=)

guna said...

We are trying to make a difference in this world. I guess we have to be appealing for students to make them interested in studies...just like you have said. Simulations are needed.